Penny Can

Home Entertainment Center => Music => Topic started by: Mac on June 19, 2014, 09:51:25 am

Title: Youtube paid Music Service
Post by: Mac on June 19, 2014, 09:51:25 am
OK, I don't know much about Youtube and their proposed Paid Music service, but what did catch my eye is the censoring stance they are taking.

YouTube to launch paid music service, may block Adele, Arctic Monkeys

YouTube is planning to block the videos of artists like Adele and the Arctic Monkeys after several record labels refused to sign up to its new subscription service, a newspaper reported on Wednesday.

The Google-owned online media site will start blocking videos "in a matter of days", Robert Kyncl, YouTube's head of content and business operations, was quoted as saying by the Financial Times.

Record labels representing 95% of the music industry have signed up to the new terms, he was quoted as saying, although that doesn't include independent labels like XL Recordings and Domino.

The move comes after a breakdown of talks between YouTube and the independent music trade organisation about the new music streaming service late last month.

The Worldwide Independent Network said the contracts that YouTube was offering to independent labels are on "highly unfavourable and non-negotiable" terms.

The decision, however, has attracted strong criticism from artistes and labels alike.

Alison Wenham, who runs the Worldwide Independent Network, told the BBC that independent labels around the world are "disappointed" at the lack of respect and understanding shown by YouTube. Moreover, the report mentioned that Radiohead guitarist Ed O'Brien had "accused Google of trying to 'strong-arm'labels into accepting low fees".

BBC observed that "even if blocks do go ahead, content from artists signed to independent labels will remain available on YouTube via channels such as Vevo".

YouTube is already the biggest online source of free streaming music, but it is planning a paid service to compete directly with other subscription services like Spotify
Title: Re: Youtube paid Music Service
Post by: Chiprocks1 on August 14, 2017, 05:04:48 pm
On a separate front, gonna post about YouTube's Audio Library geared toward creators on the platform. Now that I'm getting deeper into film editing again, I've started searching out music sites that offer royalty free/non-copyrighted music for our videos. On YouTube itself, there is a creator tab that offers exactly that, along with Sound FX if that's what you need as well. It's cool to have this available, but the pickings are pretty slim as far as good music that you would want to use. I've found a few cool songs....but I've had to branch out and look elsewhere on YouTube as well as sites not affiliated with YouTube. I'm find more good stuff away from YouTube, but you have to be diligent to make sure they are in fact Royalty-Free. It's a lot of extra work, which is time consuming.
Title: Re: Youtube paid Music Service
Post by: Chiprocks1 on September 07, 2017, 07:44:31 pm
Okay, now that I'm using a lot of Royalty Free / No Copyright Music for my videos, I'm finding a lot of amazing songs to use. Songs that I like enough to actually put onto my Mp3 player. I think for me the most time consuming part about creating videos for YouTube is actually finding great songs to use. They are out just have to make the effort to find them and be aware of songs in other videos you watch on YouTube that you want to use and hunting them down that way. I'm actually going through playlist to find them probably 98% of the time...the other 2% is from other videos.